Put your goals and needs aside and listen to for these 3 Networking Opportunities:

1. Be open-minded and build your network broadly. You never know who’s connected to whom. When it comes to personal relationships and connections, you only see the tip of the iceberg.

Don’t limit your opportunities with a “I-only-want-to-meet-C-level-executives” mindset.

Remember:
Just because you want to connect with them, they may not want to connect with you.

For example,
I received a project from a Tiffany private equity firm without any outreach or qualifying interviews.

How?
Because I had done 2 projects for her husband who owned a boutique private equity firm and he recommended me.


2. Accept whatever someone can do for you at that time.

Since your network isn't a bank of human relationships. Accept the help people can give you politely.


 For example:

A former student reached out and asked me to help her find another position. Since I didn’t know of any, I suggested she subscribe my blog and follow up.

Narrowly focused on her current objective, warm leads, she didn’t follow my suggestions. 

So she lost out on a great opportunity when a colleague contacted me the next week looking someone with her exact skill set. Oops!


3. Reconnect with each member of your network on a regular basis.

This piece of advice has an important caveat:

Add something to your communications that makes your request enticing and worth paying attention to!

Otherwise it’s just noise and you get branded as a pest.

Further, Don’t write: “I haven’t heard from you.” because that’s about YOU and your needs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Core Values To Drive The Success Of Your Business

How To Build A Powerful Professional Network Early In Your Career